Mental Health Rehabilitation Technician/Community (MHRT/C)


Last updated: March 15, 2019

Short-cuts to FAQ topics:

New Certification Requirements

Continuing Education Requirements

Credit for Work Experience-Transition Period

Non-Academic Training Option

Paperless Certification

New Certification Requirements

Q. I earned my Full MHRT/C prior to January 1, 2018. I’ve been told I must now meet the new competency/domain requirements to keep my MHRT/C current. Is this true?
A. No, if you hold a full MHRT/C certificate you do not have to satisfy the new knowledge competency requirements. However, you do need to be issued a new certificate under the new program. (see next question)

Q. How do I obtain an updated full MHRT/C certificate with an expiration date?
A. Please go to the Updates page, click on the Update email address and submit your current and complete contact information. We will reissue a new certificate during the month it was originally issued. For example, if it was issued in July, we will reissue it in July 2018 with an expiration date of July 2020.

Q. I have an MHRT II, III or IV. Am I affected by the changes in the MHRT/C requirements?
A. Yes. Please update your contact information with us by clicking on the email address found on our Updates page. You will be reissued a new MHRT/C certificate with an expiration date and continuing education requirement.

Q. I work in human resources at my agency and see you want updated contact information from all current MHRT/C certificate holders. May I send you a list of our MHRT/C employees with their work contact info to cover this request?
A. Yes, we will accept work contact information though we prefer the individual’s home contact information. If an individual leaves the agency we would not have their contact information to communicate any program changes or reminders. In addition, certificates are issued directly to the employee.

Q. I currently have a Provisional MHRT/C Level A (or B) certificate. Do I continue under the old requirements, or may I move over to the new requirements?
A. We suggest that you continue on your current path under the existing requirements. At this time, pre-approved academic and non-academic course options are not yet available to meet the new competency domains. Over the next several months, we’ll implement other changes to the MHRT/C certification program as they become available. Depending on an individual’s qualifications, some of the revisions could provide an accelerated pathway to full MHRT/C certification. Please continue to follow these updates.

Q. I have an MHRT/CSP. Am I affected by the changes in the MHRT/C requirements?
A. No, the MHRT/CSP program is not changing at this time. These changes only affect the MHRT/C

Q: Can providers send you a list of existing certificate holders w/contact info, to make sure that none of our providers miss getting their certs issued?

A: Yes, an agency may send us a list of their certificate holders with their current contact information. We prefer home contact information as you may have certificate holders who will not be reissued their certificate for several months. The reason we prefer home contact information is there is a chance the individual may no longer be with your agency come the month we reissue their certificate. We’ve had a few instances of this already.

Q: Existing MHRT/C holders must contact you before a new certificate will be issued - is that correct? Meaning certificates are not automatically issued?

A: That’s correct, certificates are not automatically reissued. An individual must update their contact information with the Muskie School in order for a certificate to be reissued. In the past, certificate holders were under no obligation to keep their data current so we might not have current addresses. Certificate holders should send their updated home contact information to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Q: If the domains are met through a number of different courses at an academic institution, does that mean that in order for someone to meet a competency that they may need multiple courses?

A: In cases where an institution spreads the knowledge competencies for a single domain over multiple courses, yes. There are a few instances of this in the current requirements. For example, someone who takes their program through either Husson University or Central Maine Community College must complete two courses to meet the Vocational Aspects of Disabilities requirement.

Continuing Education Requirements

Q. I earned my full MHRT/C (II, III, or IV) prior to January 1, 2018. Since there is no expiration date on my certificate, do I have to take continuing education?
A. Yes, all full MHRT/C (II, III, & IV) certificates will be reissued as an MHRT/C with an expiration date and a continuing education requirement. Certificates without an expiration date will become invalid in 2020.

Q. When will I receive my new MHRT/C with an expiration date so I can work on continuing education?
A. We are reissuing certificates to those who provide us with updated contact information in monthly batches based on the month of original issue. Here are two examples:
1. An individual earned their MHRT/C on May 3, 2008, their certificate will be reissued in May 2018 and will be valid through May 31, 2020.
2. An individual earned their MHRT III on July 10, 1997, their certificate will be reissued (as an MHRT/C) in July 2018 and will be valid through July 31, 2020.

Q. I completed 18 hours of continuing education in the past. May I use that to meet the new recertification requirement?
A. No, continuing education must take place during the two-year period your certificate is valid.

Q. When can I start working on continuing education?
A. As soon as you have a full MHRT/C certificate with an expiration date.

Q. May I use a college course towards the continuing education requirement?
A. Yes, as long as the course is relevant to the new knowledge competencies and is completed during the two-year expiration period on your certificate. Please remember, you still need to meet four (4) hours of ethics as part of the 18 hours of continuing education.

Q. What if that college isn’t regionally accredited. Would those courses still count for continuing education?
A. We will accept a non-regionally accredited college course for continuing education as long as the course is relevant to the new knowledge competencies.

Q. I’m in the middle of completing an MSW degree. If I complete it during my recertification period, may I use that in substitution for the continuing education requirement?
A. We will accept one or more of the courses you complete in that time period towards your MSW for continuing education as long as the course is relevant to the new knowledge competencies.

Q. What happens if I don’t complete the continuing education requirement in the two-year period?
A. Your certificate will expire and any services rendered after that will not be allowable under MaineCare billing.

Q. How do I document that I’ve completed the continuing education requirement? Where do I send that documentation?
A. You will submit an MHRT/C renewal form (download from the CFL website) and certificates of completion for the trainings you completed. Those certificates should list: Training title, trainer’s name, number of hours, and date of training.

Q. Do we need prior approval for a training to ensure that it falls within one of the domains and will count toward the continuing education requirement?
A. No, but if you have any question about a training’s applicability, please feel free to contact us.

Q. Can an agency develop its own training to fulfill some of the continuing education requirements?
A. Yes, and it needs to be pre-approved for delivery. Please submit a brief description of the program, an agenda, # of hours, description of the trainer’s qualifications (brief bio), and a sample copy of the certificate of completion.

Q. I have a license that requires continuing education. May I count that training towards the MHRT/C?
A. Yes, you may count the continuing education towards both your license and the MHRT/C, provided the training is related to the MHRT/C knowledge competencies.

Q. Would the new online program “Maine’s Mental Health System 101” count towards continuing education?
A. Yes, the one-hour online module “Maine’s Mental Health System 101” will be accepted as continuing education for those full MHRT/C certificate holders who did not take the module as part of their application process. The course is good for one-hour of continuing education and applies to Domain 2: Community Integration and Inclusion.

Q. Is there a fee for recertification?
A. There is no renewal fee at this time.

Q. Can I use the Mental Health Support Specialist (MHSS) training for MHRT/C continuing education?
A. No. The MHSS training doesn't go into the depth necessary to satisfy the MHRT/C competencies.

Q. Can I use the Behavioral Health Professional (BHP) training for MHRT/C continuing education?
A. No. The BHP is for children's services while the MHRT/C is for adult services.

Credit for Work Experience-Transition Period

Q. What’s the new option?
We’re making a change to the current waiver option used to meet the MHRT/C requirements: If you want to earn your full MHRT/Community certificate, and hold a qualifying related degree, you can now use six months of relevant clinically-supervised work experience to meet one of the ten required courses.

Beginning on May 1, 2018, applicants with a qualifying related degree* may use this new six-month option to meet the current course requirements. (Previously, you needed one-year of work experience.)

Q. Which degree majors qualify?
The following degrees qualify for this program:

Art Therapy
Behavioral Health
Behavioral Health & Human Services
Behavioral Science
Communication Science & Disorders
Community Health
Community Health Education
Community Mental Health
Health & Human Services
Human Development
Human Development & Family Studies
Human Services
Mental Health
Mental Health & Human Services
Movement Therapy
Music Therapy
Occupational Therapy
Physical Therapy
Psychiatric Rehabilitation
Psychosocial Rehabilitation
Public Health
Rehabilitation Sciences
Rehabilitation Services
Special Education
Speech/Hearing Sciences
Speech-Language Pathology
Social & Behavioral Science
Social Rehabilitation
Social Science
Social Services
Social Work
Therapeutic Recreation

Q. Using this option, how many courses may I receive for my work experience?
Under the transition program, you may use Credit for Work Experience for up to 4 courses.

Q. I have an AA in Human Services and received a waiver for one required course. The waiver covered the period March 2017 to March 2018. Am I eligible to use this new option now?
A. Yes, you are eligible because you have a related degree. With the new option, you can apply for three more waivers, using six months of qualifying work experience fo each. No time period used for a waiver can be used more than once.

Q. I have a Provisional MHRT/C Level B certificate, and have taken several college courses. I don’t have my degree yet. Do I qualify for this new option?
A. No, this only applies to individuals who have a qualifying degree.

Non-Academic Training Option

Q: Will agencies be able get approval to offer trainings/classes that meet the domain criteria for certification? (for non-academic options)
A: Presently, SAMHS is developing standard curricula for some of the Domains. When completed, they will be delivered to trainers who meet the trainer standards, which are also being developed. The short answer is yes, if the prospective trainers meet the standards and complete the train-the-trainer using the standardized curriculum.

 Paperless Certificates

Q. When will the change to Paperless Certificates occur?
A. November 1, 2018.

Q. Why go paperless?
A. We have been reissuing the MHRT/C certificates electronically since January 1, 2018. This effort will not only save resources, it will enable certificates to be issued more timely, putting it in the MHRTs’ hands sooner.

Q. Which certificates are going paperless?
A. MHRT I & MHRT/C, both full and provisional certificates.

Q. What about MHRT/CSP and MHSS certificates?
A. We will continue to issue paper MHRT/CSP and MHSS certificates for now.

Q. What if I do not have an email address? May I obtain a paper certificate?
A. Yes, we can make an exception to our policy for those without an email address.

Q. May I apply for certification electronically?
A. Yes, you may submit your application and materials as scan attachments to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Agencies may also submit applications for Provisional or Full MHRT I this way.

Q. May an agency representative submit my application and paperwork electronically for me?
A. Yes. However, MHRT/C certificates will be issued directly to the individual. Agencies may still directly apply for Full and Provisional MHRT I certificates.