Mental Health Rehabilitation Technician/Community (MHRT/C)


Application and Qualification

How do I apply for the MHRT/Community certification?

There is an application form that you may copy in Appendix B of the Guidelines. An official copy of your college transcript is required as well as certificates from any trainings or workshops you completed. Please see the MHRT/Community Guidelines on our website for details. If you already know how to apply but need the application form, you can go to our Forms page to download it.

Is a bachelor's degree required for MHRT/Community Certification?

No, it is possible to earn the MHRT/Community certification with documentation of non-academic training or relevant work experience, as well as through academic coursework. Please see the 2008 Procedural Guidelines for MHRT/C Certification for details.

I’m thinking of applying for MHRT/Community certification but am not sure if I meet the requirements. Is it possible to arrange an appointment with someone to review my transcript and discuss my other qualifications?

Unfortunately, the Center for Learning is unable to meet with individual applicants; however, we questions, you may contact us at 626-5280 or email us at We encourage individuals to submit their application, transcripts and other documentation and we will then provide written feedback. Please remember to provide an applicaiton form. If you only want your paperwork reviewed and no certificate issued, please write "Transcript Review Only" across the top of the application.

How long does it take to review applications for MHRT/Community certification?

The average turnaround time ranges from 2-3 weeks. Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.

Is there a fee for applying for certification?

No, at this time, the Center for Learning does not charge an application fee for MHRT/Community certification.

Do I need to provide an Official Transcript with my application?

If you have completed coursework or a degree towards certification, you need to provide either an official transcript or a legible photocopy of an official transcript. A transcript is considered official when it is stamped as such by the issuing institution. This stamp needs to show through on the photocopy to be accepted.

May I provide a copy of the Distributed Student Information System (DSIS) print-out in substitution of an official transcript?

Many colleges and university programs that were pre-approved for MHRT/Community certification submitted curricula information for review. The DHHS-SAMHS (Department of Health & Human Services-Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services) and the Muskie School Center for Learning reviewed this information in relation to the competencies that were identified as being necessary to work in the field of adult mental health. We plan to review curricula from additional college and university programs in the future as information is submitted.

Does a Conditional LSW qualify for a provisional MHRT/Community?

A Conditional LSW does not qualify for Provisional MHRT/Community, Level A or Level B certification. The applicant must hold a full and current LSW from the State of Maine in order to qualify for Provisional MHRT/C Level B certification.

Will an undergraduate degree in psychology be accepted for MHRT/Community certification?

Not necessarily, unless it is from a program that we have pre-approved. Two examples are the Clinical Psychology program from the University of Maine at Farmington (graduates in 2002 through present only) and the Psychology program at Husson University. They have established a MHRT Counseling track that has been pre-approved for MHRT/C. Please note, however, that not all Psychology degrees qualify for MHRT/C. For instance, degrees from non-approved psychology programs will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If these degrees are from a regionally accredited program, they are usually acceptable for at least a Provisional MHRT/C Level A certificate.

Have the requirements for Crisis Workers changed?

Yes, these changes took place in the spring of 2007. Crisis Workers must earn the MHRT/Crisis Service Provider (CSP) certification. For more information on this certification, please see the 2011 Mental Health Rehabilitation Technician/Crisis Service Provider (MHRT/CSP Certification Procedural Guidelines.

You are reviewing degrees from out of country separately according to these guidelines. What about degrees from out of state?

We accept academic credit earned at universities or colleges within the USA that are accredited by a U.S. Regional Accrediting Organization (if the courses are relevant to the MHRT/C courses). We work with USM to review foreign degrees.

I have earned the US Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association (USPRA, formerly IAPSRS) credential of Certified Psychosocial Rehabilitation Professional (CPRP). Is there reciprocity between that certification and the MHRT/Community certification?

Yes. Individuals with the CPRP certification are eligible for full MHRT/Community certification. Those individuals must submit an application, and documentation of the CPRP certification, to the Center for Learning.

I have an applicant with an AA in Social Services (or AS in Human Services) from UMA. How can I tell if their program included a concentration in Mental Health as it does not state this on the transcript?

Students in these majors are considered to have a concentration in mental health if they have completed all ten courses required for MHRT/Community certification as part of their course work for their degree. In these cases, the Center for Learning will do a transcript analysis to ensure that the applicant meets the MHRT/C requirements.

I have an applicant with a BA in Psychology from UMF. How can I tell if their program is the MHRT/Counseling Track program?

Students who have completed the MHRT/Counseling Track program will have “MHRT/Counseling Track” listed right on their transcripts. As of August 2009, the student must complete the following courses as part of their degree to meet the MHRT/Counseling Track requirement: PSY209 Abnormal Psychology PSY226 Adulthood and Aging PSY235 Introduction to Counseling and Personality PSY237 Career Counseling PSY455 Crisis Intervention and Stabilization and EITHER PSY329 Child and Family Counseling and Psychopathology OR PSY435 Psychotherapeutic Methods

I have an applicant with a BS in Rehabilitation Services from UMF. How can I tell if they have completed the MHRT/C concentration for Full certification?

Students must complete all degree requirements and complete the following three courses: 

  • REH270 Vocational Counseling & Placement
  • REH320 Addiction Rehabilitation
  • REH330 Psychosocial Rehabilitation

If the student does not complete the above three courses as part of their degree, they qualify for Provisional MHRT/C Level B. 

Also, students who complete the three courses above and all other degree requirements except REH 495 Internship in Rehabilitation may apply for a Provisional MHRT/C Level B certificate.

I have an applicant with a BA in Social and Behavioral Sciences from USM/LA College. How can I tell if they meet the Full MHRT/C Track requirements?

The student must have completed the following:

1. all required LAC Core courses;
2. all SBS required courses;
3. the two required Counseling Concentration Foundational courses SBS 311 Theories of Personality and SBS 411 Counseling and Psychotherapy;
4. and in selecting their remaining courses from the required four categories that satisfy the Counseling Concentration requirements, their choices will be limited as follows:

Group 1: Psychosocial Disorders and Service** -- MHRT/C track students will need THREE of the following courses (rather than just one from Group 1):
o SBS 303 Abnormal Psychology
o SBS 346 Introduction to Social Services

And EITHER o SBS 348 Responding to Mental Health Crisis in the Community
o SBS 399 Trauma: Social, Psychological and Cultural Dimensions

Group 2: Diversity and Multiculturalism:
o SBS 399/315 Social Psychology of Disability

Group 3: Developmental Contexts:
o Any ONE of the following courses:
SBS 305 Child Development;
SBS 306 Adolescence; SBS 307 Midlife and Development; OR SBS 341 The Family Group 4: Applied Topic: o SBS 343 Substance Abuse

Please see USM-LAC's Social & Behavioral Sciences website for more information.

I have an applicant with a bachelor degree from the University of New England (UNE). How do I confirm they have met the requirements for an MHRT Minor?

The student must have completed the following courses for the MHRT Minor at UNE:

  • PSY 105 (Introduction to Psychology)
  • PSY 205 (Abnormal Psychoogy)
  • PSY 250 (Lifespan Development)
  • PSY 236 (Mental Health and Society)
  • SOC 240 (Race, Class, and Gender)
  • EITHER PSY 318 (Community Psychology) OR PSY 300 (Psychology Internship)
  • EITHER PSY 410 (Theories of Clinical/Counseling Psychology OR PSY 295 (Listening and Communication Skills)

Course Requirement Questions

Who offers the courses for MHRT/C certification?

There is a listing of some course offerings in Appendix A of the Guidelines. If you find a course or training which you believe meets the requirements, you may submit a course description to the Center for Learning, which will review the information and let you know whether it meets the requirements.

Many of the courses listed in Appendix A of the Guidelines are offered at the University of Maine in Augusta. Can I take these courses in Bangor?

Yes. UMA operates University College in Bangor and the state ITV education system. Courses offered at any of these locations are the same courses offered at UMA.

If I have a BSW, do I need to take a course in Cultural Competency?

If you have a BSW from a program approved by the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE), you do not need to take a diversity course. Diversity as well as the other competencies except Vocational Aspects of Disabilities listed in the Guidelines are integrated into the curriculum of CSWE-approved BSW programs.

Is the Psychiatric Rehabilitation course interchangeable with the Psychosocial Rehabilitation course?

Yes, if the content is the same. Please send the curriculum or course description to the Center for Learning and we will review the material.

Provisional MHRT C, Level A-B Questions

What is the difference between the Provisional MHRT/Community Level A and Level B?

The Provisional Level A is for those individuals who have earned Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or Master’s degrees in human service related fields. A list of accepted degrees can be found in Appendix E of the Guidelines. The Provisional Level B (formerly the Provisional MHRT/Community) applies to those individuals who have completed the five courses listed or who have completed an academic program that has been pre-approved as meeting the Provisional MHRT/C, Level B certification.

What is the purpose of having two separate levels of Provisional MHRT/Community certification?

The purpose of creating the Provisional Level A certification is to enable providers to recruit and hire individuals who have earned Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees in fields that are human service related, but who do not qualify for a Provisional MHRT/Community under the 2008 Guidelines. These applicants are given one year to complete the 5 MHRT/C courses while being employed in the behavioral health field.

What are the requirements for Provisional MHRT/Community Level A certification?

A college degree in a human service related field is required. Please refer to Appendix C of the Guidelines for a list of accepted degrees.

What are the requirements for Provisional MHRT/Community Level B certification?

Individuals must complete the following five (5) specific courses to be eligible for Provisional MHRT/Community, Level B certification: - Introduction to Community Mental Health - Psychosocial Rehabilitation - Interviewing and Counseling - Crisis Identification and Resolution - Cultural Competency/Diversity

I’ve looked at the list of related degrees and mine is included. What do I need to submit in order to receive my Provisional MHRT/Community Level A certification?

In order to receive Provisional MHRT/C Level A certification, you need to submit an application and either a copy of your degree or an official academic transcript indicating that your degree was conferred. If you are submitting a copy of your degree, please make sure that your program of study is listed on the degree. For example, we are unable to accept general degrees that simply list ‘Bachelor of Science.’ The degree must list the program (i.e. ‘Bachelor of Science, Human Services’). If you do not provide an official transcript, we cannot give you credit for any courses you may have completed towards Provisional MHRT/C Level B certification.

What if my degree is not listed as an accepted human services related degree?

The listing of degrees was created to be as comprehensive as possible. Only the degrees listed will automatically qualify for Provisional Level A certification. If you feel your degree is pertinent to human services but is omitted from the list, you are encouraged to submit your application and it will be reviewed.

Why does a degree in Human Development qualify for Provisional MHRT/C Level A certification, while a Child Development degree does not?

The DHHS-SAMHS and the Center for Learning determined that some courses in Human Development are applicable as they cover developmental themes and issues over the lifespan. However, the primary course components of most Child Development programs are children and family, rather than adult and community mental health.

If I am issued a Provisional MHRT/Community Level A certification, how long do I have to complete the requirements for Full MHRT/C certification?

Once you obtain Provisional MHRT/C, Level A certification, you have one (1) year to complete the course requirements for Level B (listed above). If you meet these requirements within the year, you will then have an additional two (2) years to complete the remaining requirements for Full MHRT/C certification.

Is there a clinical supervision requirement for the Provisional MHRT/C Level A?

Yes, individuals are required to receive 1 hour per week of individual clinical supervision in addition to the supervision they already receive, during the one year time frame that their Provisional MHRT/C Level A is valid. This requirement is in addition to the supervision required by mental health licensing. Please see Section V of the Guidelines.

PLEASE NOTE: The Center for Learning does not interpret licensing requirements for MHRT/C certification. For additional questions regarding licensing, please contact a Provider Relations Specialist or your licensing representative at DHHS-SAMHS.

Waiver Questions

How should supervision for waivers be documented? How many hours per week do you require?

We have not specified the number of hours of supervision required. The clinically-licensed mental health professional must document that he/she supervised the applicant for at least a year and verify that the applicant has mastered the competencies covered in the course requirement.

Are general reference letters accepted as waivers?

No. In order to qualify for a course waiver, applicants must submit a letter from their master’s level, clinical supervisor. The letter must specifically document how the applicant’s work experience is equivalent to the MHRT/C course requirements.

If I cannot obtain a letter from my clinical supervisor, may I instead submit a letter from his or her supervisor?

No. The waiver request must be written by someone who provided direct clinical supervision to the applicant.

Is a supervisor with a M.Ed. qualified to write waiver requests?

No. The Master’s degree in Education is not considered a clinical credential. For a list of titles that are accepted for waiver requests, please refer to Waiver Section of the Guidelines.

If I have 5 years of experience, am I eligible for 5 waivers when I apply for the Provisional MHRT/Community certification?

In order to be approved for waivers, the waiver letters must be written as outlined in the MHRT/Community Guidelines. Only one letter may be submitted for each year of employment. The maximum number of waivers granted is five.

General Questions

If I have a current MHRT II or III, do I need to reapply for the MHRT/Community?

No, your certificate is valid and equivalent to the MHRT/Community. The Center for Learning will not issue you a new MHRT/Community certificate if you already have a valid MHRT II or III.

My Provisional MHRT/Community Level B certificate is going to expire soon. Can I get an extension?

Extensions are approved on a case-by-case basis and will only be granted when there are extenuating circumstances or hardship that prevented the applicant from earning the full MHRT/Community certification within the specified time frame. There must also be evidence that the applicant has made progress towards earning the Full MHRT/Community certification during that same time.

My Provisional MHRT/C Level B certification expired just recently. Could I request an extension or have my certificate reinstated?

Once your certificate has expired, you are no longer eligible for an extension. Requests for extensions must be submitted at least thirty days prior to the expiration date of the certificate. In addition, it is not possible to have your provisional certificate reinstated. Once your certificate has expired, you must apply for the next level of certification.

My name has changed. Can I obtain a copy of my certificate with my new name on it?

Yes. Please submit your request to the Center for Learning in writing. Please include documentation of your name change such as a marriage license or divorce papers.

I lost my certificate. How do I obtain a new copy?

The Center for Learning has electronic archives of all certificates issued since 1997. Please submit your request for a copy of your lost certificate in writing. Please include your current address, daytime phone number, and the date (or best guess) your certificate was issued. If your name has changed since the certificate was issued, we will also need documentation of that name change such as a marriage license or divorce papers. We will produce a duplicate copy of your certificate and send it to your attention at the address you provided in your request. Please note: If your certificate was issued by the agency where you were employed, you should contact that agency for a copy. If the University of Southern Maine issued your certificate, please contact that institution directly.