Skip to content

March 2023 Newsletter

UPDATE to MHRT/C Continuing Education Requirement

The Public Health Emergency (PHE) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic is set to expire this May, 2023. Accordingly, the continuing education policy change allowing all 18 training hours to be completed online will be updated. Beginning June 1, 2023 continuing education for MHRT/C renewal must include a minimum of six hours of live training:  face-to-face or live webinars or classes.

Please let us know if you have any questions on this update.

The MHRT/C Appendix E: Work Verification Form: How it Works

There are four ways to qualify for a Provisional MHRT/C through Pathway C. Three of the four ways require college education. The fourth way is by having one year of full-time direct service experience in the behavioral health field working with adults or transition-age youth with mental illness and/or substance use disorders. To document that work experience, an applicant needs to submit the form Appendix E. HR personnel from the agency the applicant gained their work experience must complete the form verifying the experience. If an applicant worked for one agency for eight months and another for four months, the applicant could have each agency complete a copy of Appendix E to meet one year of full-time work experience.

Here are a few examples of related adult behavioral health work experience:

  • Working as an MHRT I (adult behavioral health residential/daily living skills)
  • Peer Support Services
  • Working in a substance use recovery home

Here are a few examples of what is not considered adult behavioral health work experience:

  • Work in an administrative-only capacity (example HR office) at a behavioral health agency.
  • Work as a Behavioral Health Professional (BHP), which is children’s services.
  • Work as a Direst Support Professional, which is intellectual and developmental disability related services.

Part-time Work Experience: The applicant must meet the equivalent of one year of full-time work experience. We consider a minimum of 32 hours per week as full-time work. One year, 52 weeks of full-time work experience is 1,664 hours. So, if the individual is working part-time, take the number of hours per week they work and divide 1,664 by that number. For example, if the individual works 24 hours per week, divide 1,664 by 24, and you get 69.3 weeks, which is the number of weeks that individual would need to work to be equivalent to one year of full-time work.

Contact us here: