With the end of the academic year swiftly approaching and registration deadlines for fall classes upon us, we want to take this opportunity to highlight several new academic MHRT/C options now available around the state. Whether you are looking for online, in-person, or hybrid courses, MHRT/C certificate tracks, or accelerated routes to provisional certification, there is likely an option that fits your unique goals.
Recently approved programs
The list of approved MHRT/C programs continues to expand, with the recent addition of the following programs:
- Southern Maine Community College’s Associate’s degree in Behavioral Health and Human Services
- University of Southern Maine’s Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Social Work
Accelerated and/or Online Programs
There are several fast-track MHRT/C programs in the state including:
- Kennebec Valley Community College offers an eight-course sequence within their Associate of Applied Sciences in Mental Health Program that qualifies for Full MHRT/C.
- University of Maine at Fort Kent has an accelerated program that is entirely online. Program details are on UMFK’s Behavioral Sciences homepage.
- University of Maine at Presque Isle offers two certificate options to accelerate entry into the workforce, while staying on track to earn a degree: 1) A Social Work-blended model (for non-Social Work majors), and 2) A Psychology-based model (also for non-Social Work majors). These options are either online or in-person. Check the UMPI website for details
- York County Community College offers a nine-course MHRT/C certificate program.
- Through a partnership with the University of Maine at Machias (UMM), students from the University of Maine now have the option of completing a seven-course Mental Health Rehabilitation minor at UMM, for Full MHRT/C certification.
- Students in the Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) program at the University of Southern Maine-Lewiston Auburn College (USM-LAC) can complete certain course equivalents in the Rehabilitation Counseling program at USM. This gives them the opportunity to try a graduate-level Counseling course while also meeting their SBS bachelor’s requirements.
These are only a handful of the approved academic options available for MHRT/C applicants. As always, we recommend checking our website regularly for the most up-to-date listing of MHRT/C-approved academic courses and programs: https://cfl-muskie.org/
MHRT/C Continuing Education: Does this training apply?
Continuing education training for MHRT/C renewal must address at least one of the eighty-four MHRT/C knowledge competencies found in the eight MHRT/C competency domains. Our staff created a simple “How To” guide to help determine if a training is applicable.
MHRT/C Domain 4-Trauma & Resiliency Non-Academic Curriculum Train-the-Trainer
Contact us here: