Next Steps for Pathway B-Full MHRT/C through related 4-year degree or Full LSW
Applicants are encouraged to upload all of the required documentation during the application process. If this is not possible, CFL requests that you submit complete application packages via email or regular mail. Legible faxes are also accepted. (Electronic copies of official transcripts sent directly from the academic institution may also be accepted).
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT of education must bear an official seal and/or signature from the academic institution. If the degree/diploma was granted under a previously used name, please include documentation of your name change with the application (marriage license, divorce settlement or court legal name change petition). Course descriptions may be requested by CFL in some cases. Please note that the following items will not be considered in lieu of an official transcript: Grade printouts or course registrations, unofficial transcripts, and letters from professors.
- Full LSW LICENSE: It must be current at the time of application.
- MAINE’S MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM 101: A certificate of completion must be included with your application. If you haven’t taken this training yet, you can do so here.
- TRAINING CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION: If you are submitting related training certificates to satisfy your competency domains requirements, they must indicate the name of the relevant training, the number of contact hours, and date of completion. All training programs and education must address one of the eight Competency Domains.
- CREDIT FOR WORK EXPERIENCE: To use relevant work experience to satisfy a competency domain, it must be supervised and documented work experience that demonstrates knowledge and skill in a particular domain. The form must be completed by a clinical supervisor (or administrative supervisor with documentation), cover six (6) consecutive months of employment. One six (6) month period may be used to satisfy up to two (2) Domains. Priority Domains 1 and 3 are not eligible. You can download these from our Forms page.
- ACADEMIC INTERNSHIP: If you want to use an internship to satisfy your competency domains requirements, please submit written documentation from an academic advisor or placement supervisor describing how the experience satisfies a particular competency domain.
- OTHER CERTIFICATIONS: Please submit documentation of any additional relevant certification.
- NAME CHANGE DOCUMENTATION: If your name has changed and your previous name appears on any of the documents you submit, you will need to provide proof of your name change. We accept whichever of the following applies to you:
- Marriage License
- Divorce Decree (page 1 listing your previous name and whichever page lists your current name
- court legal name change petition
When you have gathered the required documentation, complete an application form online, or download for printing and mailing. Please provide thorough contact and employment information. Please do not use the online application form until you have all your documentation gathered.
Upon an application review, you will be required to satisfy any outstanding competency domains. You will need to complete half (rounded-up) in one year in order to receive a second one-year Full MHRT/C certificate. Upon completion of all remaining Domains, you will be issued a 2-year Full MHRT/C and will then need to complete continuing education.
Options to fulfill a domain requirement include: taking a qualifying academic course, or having a Prior Learning Assessment, or completing 30 hours of non-academic training, or with Credit for Work Experience-credit based on six (6) months related work experience.
CFL CONTACT INFORMATION:
Muskie School of Public Service
Center for Learning
Re: MHRT/Community Certification
12 East Chestnut St.
Augusta, ME 04330
CFL TTY: 207-626-5282
PLEASE ALLOW UPTO 3 WEEKS FROM SUBMISSION FOR REVIEW TO BE COMPLETED. You will be contacted by email when the review has been completed.
Certain colleges and universities in Maine offer degree and certificate programs which are approved by the CFL to qualify for full MHRT/C certification upon completion. These programs cover all the MHRT/C knowledge competencies.
One of the eight domains that encompasses the essential knowledge competencies and skills for Maine’s adult behavioral health workforce. Each competency domain is comprised of a set of unique competencies that are grounded in, and guided by, the fundamental components of recovery and reflect the values of consumer choice and empowerment, integrated care, respect, advocacy, responsibility, and hope.
The required training and professional development to renew full MHRT/C certification every two years. Eighteen hours of continuing education related to the competency domains must be completed to satisfy the renewal requirement, including a minimum of four hours in Ethics.
Supervised and documented work experience that demonstrates knowledge and skill in a particular domain. Must be written by a clinical supervisor (or administrative supervisor with supporting documentation), cover consecutive months of employment, and can be used to satisfy only one domain
Must satisfy half any missing Competency Domains within the one-year period after issue to receive a second one year certificate. Upon completion of all missing Competency Domains, renewable every two years with 18 hours continuing education; four of the 18 hours must be in ethics.
An approximately one-hour web-based training course that provides an overview of the history, resources, roles, and values of Maine’s mental health system; optional for certification applicants in Pathway A, mandatory for all other applicants.
May include Certified Professional Rehabilitation Practitioner (CPRP), Certified Intentional Peer Support Specialist (CIPSS), MHRT 1, Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (CADC), or other, reviewed on a case by case basisnt
Offered by many colleges and universities, a PLA can translate knowledge gained from experience into academic credit. Follow this link for a list of PLA offices in Maine.
Competency domains that must be completed within 90 days by those issued a Provisional MHRT/C certification. They include the first three domains: 1) Behavioral, Psychological, and Rehabilitation Intervention Models; 2) Community Integration and Inclusion; and 3) Ethics and Professional Conduct
Valid for one years; applicant must satisfy half competency gaps in order to earn a second one year certificate. upon completion of a competency gaps, applicant will be issued a two-year full certificate
Degrees in allied areas such as special education, health & human services, human development, mental health, nursing, occupational/physical therapy, psychology, rehabilitation, social work, sociology, other therapies, and more
Direct service experience in the behavioral health field working with adults or transition-age youth with mental illness and/or substance use disorders. Applicants may substitute the requirement for direct service experience as a case manager